Here are some of the facts that the video highlights (source: http://www.upworthy.com):
- The U.S. does, in fact, have about 25% of the world’s incarcerated people. We have the highest incarceration rate in the world.
- While the video says that 41% of juveniles and young adults have been arrested by the time they turn 23, we actually found that it’s between 25% and 41%.
- Yep, children as young as 13 have been sentenced to die in prison.
- And solitary confinement? That’s definitely considered torture under international law.
Here are some of the questions that CWIT asks our readers:
- The video emphasizes that “being tough on crime” is not equivalent to
being tough on criminals.” How can the government “be tough on crime” while securing the rights of criminals? Is taking away the rights of felons actually helping our country to reduce recidivism? If not, why does our government continue to enforce these policies even after they are sentenced to punishment?